Summer is here!
Splashing around in the pool is one of my favorite ways to keep cool on those hot and humid summer days. It’s fun not only for adults, but especially for kids.
However, it’s very important to make sure you use the pool safely at all times.
According to the CDC (Centers For Disease Control & Prevention), for children 1-14, pool drownings remain the #2 cause of accidental death in the USA, second only to vehicle-related deaths.
But that doesn’t mean you should be scared. Playing in the pool is fun for everyone, and if both parents and kids practice some simple safety tips, everyone can stay safe this summer!
Here are some pointers to keep in mind to make sure everyone has fun in the pool this summer!
Pool Safety Tips For Kids:
Many drownings happen when kids fall into pool accidentally, but accidents can happen anywhere. Even at your own home or a friend’s house!
This is why it’s very important to always stay safe when you’re playing around or in the pool.
- Always walk slowly around the pool. This means no running! It’s easy to slip and fall into the pool, or even just onto the hard surface around it.
- Swim at a depth you’re comfortable with. If you’re just learning to swim, stick to the shallower end of the pool.
- Don’t push others into the pool. While it seems like a lot of fun, it’s actually pretty dangerous. You could hurt your friend pretty badly, and it’s easy to drown when you fall in unexpectedly.
- Don’t chew gum or eat food while you swim. It’s easy to choke when you have food in your mouth and you’re swimming.
- Always obey the pool rules. I know they can be annoying, but they’re there for a reason: to keep everyone safe!
- Always have an adult around when you swim. It’s only safe to swim if there’s an adult with you. Even if you’re a great swimmer, accidents do happen. Always call for an adult or lifeguard if there’s an emergency.
- Don’t jump in the pool anywhere but where the diving board is. Unless an adult tells you it’s safe, you should never jump into the pool anywhere else. The water could be more shallow than you think, and if you happen to hit the ground, you could really hurt your head or neck badly!
Pool Safety Tips For Parents:
It’s your responsibility to make sure everyone has a safe and fun time in the pool!
- Never leave kids in the pool unattended. There should always be an adult supervising, even if everyone can swim. Accidents do happen, and someone should always be around to make sure everyone stays safe.
- On that note, teach children to always ask permission to use the pool.
- Give kids swimming lessons if they can’t swim. Lots of places offer age-appropriate swimming lessons, and even young children can learn to swim!
- Keep kids away from pool pipes or drains. Getting stuck in a pipe or drain is possible, so never let them get near anywhere that entrapment could be a risk.
- Have a cellphone on hand at all times. In the case of an emergency, it’s important to be able to call 911 as quickly as possible.
- Keep younger kids in a life jacket. The best way to stay safe for kids who are too young to swim properly is in a life jacket. A flotation device is not a suitable replacement and shouldn’t be considered safe.
- Keep rescue equipment on hand. Have a life preserver nearby, or a shepherd’s hook. A shepherd’s hook is a long handle with a hook on the end, which you can use to help pull someone out of the pool.
- Teach kids what to do in the case of an emergency. This means calling for an adult or lifeguard as quickly as possible.
- Keep electric devices away from the pool. Things like radios could be a risk of an electric shock if they fall into the pool.
- Take a CPR course. One of the best things you can do is to be prepared, and that means by taking a CPR course for adults and children. If someone drowns, being able to perform CPR quickly could mean the difference between life and death.
Pool safety is extremely important, especially when children are around. As long as you follow these simple tips, I’m sure you’ll have a great, fun and most importantly, safe summer!
I’d love if you came over to my blog at MomTricks! Come by and say hi! I hope to see you there!